Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Posted on: Jan 20 2017
It’s so tempting to give into cravings for heavy, rib-sticking foods during the long winter months. But, beware! Winter weight gain is a real deal. This recipe will warm you up without weighing you down! A simple chili recipe packed with flavor is perfect for apres ski and has just enough heat to melt your icy toes!
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- Coconut or olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 4 cups)
- 1 16 oz. jar chunky salsa
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 2 c. vegetable stock
- 2 c. water
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce
- In a large pot over medium heat, sweat onions in 1 Tbsp oil and season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper. Stir and continue cooking on medium heat until translucent and soft.
- Add sweet potato and any desired spices at this time (I went for chili, cinnamon, cumin and chipotle powder – all are optional). Cook for 3 minutes, then add salsa, water and vegetable stock.
- Bring mixture to a low boil on medium high heat and then lower heat to medium-low and simmer. Add black beans, cover and cook for at least 20 minutes more, preferably 30 – or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and the soup and thickened. This soup is at its best when prepared the night before or allowed to rest for a few hours so the flavor marries with the vegetables and beans.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, onion, avocado and lime juice. Chips make an excellent spoon.
Tagged with: Palette Pleaser
Posted in: Blog